Information about Acacia timber


Acacia timber market
Acacia is a fast-growing hardwood tree that is in demand as a viable alternative to teak. As it is such a durable hardwood, more and more applications are being found for its timber boosting demand and increasing prices.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Profitable investment
An investment in Acacia plantations is profitable because of the high demand for its timber in Western Europe. Pole wood (fence posts) accounts for 70% of the Acacia market and lumber accounts for the remaining 30%.

Acacia trees can be harvested for pole wood after 10 years, when they are intensively managed. Longer rotations will increase the value of Acacia timber greatly, as the trees grow in height and diameter. High prices are paid for Acacia logs of at least 5 metres in length and 15-20 cm in diameter. The prices increase even more with greater length and diameter.

Acacia plantations
On our plantations we have used several different planting densities and have learned that planting them with 2,500 trees per hectare is the most efficient density.
Acacia trees need a lot of sunlight, which is why they will grow upwards rather than sideways, when planted in such close density. This planting density allows easy access for the tractors and other machines of the management companies and makes managing the trees easier.

Management of the current Acacia plantations is focused on achieving at least a log length of 5 metres per tree. The diameter will depend mostly on the age of the trees, the older they are the bigger their diameter becomes.

Acacia properties
Acacia is suited to areas with a temperate and dry climate with soil that is sufficiently loose (the sandy/loamy soil such as is found in Eastern Germany is ideal). The trees grow fast: about 1m in height and 1cm in diameter per year. The specific weight is quite high at an average of 750 kg/m3.

Freshly logged Acacia weighs 900-1200 kg/m3. This is one of the reasons why Acacia can be offered as a Class 1-2 durability timber.

  • Very high resistance to wear (parquet)
  • Very durable, even in water
  • High percentage of heart wood
  • Very hard and heavy
  • High resistance to abrasion
  • Very durable to weather influences
  • No impregnation necessary
  • Natural resistance to wood-destroying fungi and insects
  • Replaces tropical timbers (teak, mahogany and bongossi)
  • Good processibility
  • Late burning point
  • High dynamic strain properties (e.g. Axe handles)

Acacia applications

  • Plywood
  • Cladding
  • Sills
  • Garden furniture
  • Picket
  • Wood construction for heavy duty use in mining, petroleum, water and shipbuilding
  • Stakes and poles, sports and playground equipment
    … and much more!